Okay, you read lots of promotional blurbs about how a service will expose the “Hidden Job Market” for you. But how exactly?
I’m pretty sure there isn’t a treasure chest full of the best opportunities buried somewhere that only a certain few have been issued the key. The hidden job market is right under our nose, if we know what to look for.
Other terms used for the hidden job market are; internal promotion, network referral or cold calling to name a few. There are a large percentage of jobs that just don’t make it to Seek, Indeed, other job boards or recruitment agencies.
When employers are looking for a new employee they tend to follow these steps.
#1 to #3 captures the hidden market
- Look at their internal talent.
- Consider individuals that have approached them directly and created an impression.
- Use their industry and network contacts, including who their current employees might know – often, who you know as well as what you know can get you a long way.
- Using a recruitment agency.
- Advertising in newspapers or online.
Typically when job seekers look for new opportunities, they start at #5 and go up, with a large number stopping at #4.
If you’re serious about making the right move, think about how you can start working from the top of the list instead of the bottom.